Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Papers.Papers.Papers.

So not so much time is left here on shore... I'm pretty swamped with work and really feeling the pressure of the imminent doom..  deadlines of these papers. The weather here has been quite wild here as well, ranging  from -16 degree mornings to fluffy snow and icy rain and slush all in one week.  Looking back over the past four weeks here at SEA, I really don't understand where the time went. Its cliche but time has literally flown by. I've gotten a pretty intense introduction to Polynesia and the Pacific as a whole, and  had some pretty sweet times along the way. I'm quite sure my professor/captain is quite possibly the most frequently quoted person I now know, and I can say that i have genuinely learned a fair amount in about everything Polynesia. I've been researching/reading up on the economy, colonial history, whaling, celestial navigation, western navigation, anthropology, culture, sustainability, waste management, life at sea, sailing, food, ecology, and religion of french polynesia and hawaii. The classes have been progressively been getting a little longer each day, and therefore I am more than ready to be done with these papers.

Aside from the craziness of the shore component though, I suppose the academic pressures have really helped to get to know the other students and professors. Our house has hosted all our profs over for a dinner so far and all gotten to know them better. In the past week I've gotten a BEHIND the scenes tour of Harvard's peabody museum storage area and have spent a day roaming around harvard square. I've also somehow managed to get my hands on my first SLR camera through the help of my brother, which I bought from an awesome house-mate Jackie C. from BU. Besides that excursion though, every waking moment has been spent reading papers, sitting in lecture, writing papers, eating, and sleeping (in that order too). ahh ah ahh TWO DAYS. i gotta go finish my ten page papers.

That's it for now, I'll update sometime later and add pics when i'm not in the process of dying writing...
FIVE DAYS until Tahiti! 

o yeah shout out to nick m. from northeastern u. ! <--- (he made me)
and ariane from carleton/ Nepal!


1 comment: