Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I'm a Celestial Badass!!!"

So classes are pretty much in full swing and I had my annotated bibliographies due last Wednesday. I can't believe this week is basically over...We've had a ton of lectures so far from tropical fisheries, contemporary polynesia, European voyages in the age of enlightenment, western celestial navigation, surface circulation and ocean currents, etc.....We also had a guess lecturer Dr. Graham Forrester from URI give a lecture on Marine Protected Areas in the Caribbean......

As I've sat through more and more of the lectures, I've grown amazed at my professors accomplishments. One of my professors is a professor at both Harvard  (where she wont the 2010 Shattuck Award for Excellence in Teaching) and Stanford and has written several books and has over 20 publications... one was the former Minister of Fisheries serving on the Tahitian government from 2004-2008...Besides all the academic/politcal accomplishments of my profs though, my favorite thing about them are their hilarious senses of humor and enthusiasm. They know they're overloading us on information from almost every point of discipline, but at least they make us laugh. They try to start every day off with a joke and they also spontaneously break into song during lectures.. I mean I couldn't really ask for more than that. I have yet to get bored during any of Dr. Malloy's lectures..

Despite the fact  that I'm only on shore  for four weeks, it really is nothing short of a semesters worth of work...Reading up on the current news headlines about the floods in Brisbane, southern Africa, and Brazil, the role of water and the oceans is only emphasized. So far, SEA has yet to disappoint in any aspect. but yeah....ahhh... back to work..

As my friends resume classes at Rhodes, I think its time I buckle down and get my work down. only ELEVEN days of classes left...I'll have to start living at my desk and library now if I want to get everything done.....







No comments:

Post a Comment