Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

And So It Begins..

So.. I live in a house with 7 other kids. 6 girls and 1 other guy... This house is pretty sweet...

On the first day someone said our housing situation is like the show jersey shore. I think not. Not that I have ever watched it, but unless its a house full of nerdy/busy college kids writing research papers, studying, and going to the library, it definitely can't be all too similar. Living on campus dorms at Rhodes have been fun, but living in this house is different. Our campus has one main building where lectures are given and the big common lounge. Other than that the 40 or so students on campus, theres 8 or so people to a house.I'm in the Anterra house or the A house. We're responsible for planning and cooking all our meals as well as cleaning the house. They're also big on composting and recycling, its pretty refreshing after coming from Rhodes. Nice rooms and big kitchen.. It was pretty interesting going to Shaw's yesterday and buying 325 dollars worth of groceries in one day..

The first two lectures were today, and it's almost an entire semesters worth of work all crammed into a month. As the syllabus revealed, we will basically be in classes from 9-12 and 1:30-5 everyday. We have to co-write/author? 30 pages of research papers, and another 10 pages on our own. Lot's of fun. It's not too bad, especially since I've had to write 30+ pages in one week at Rhodes, but it's not exactly as relaxing of an experience as I was expecting. So far though the class has been very similar to a class I took at Rhodes called Environment & Society. I definitely had a couple deja-vu moments today as the class was almost identical to my first E&S classes back at Rhodes.. we even had the same assigned readings for the night..

So far though, all the people I've met are very interesting, each person I've met all have their own unique backgrounds.  A couple are married, one is engaged, one grew up in Nepal, one has lived on a boat traveling around for a lot of her life. It's a really cool mix of people and its even cooler that we all have a common goal of learning more about the ocean. There's definitely an increased sense of community and inter-dependence here on campus, as well as responsibility and accountability of oneself. So far, so good, I'm really excited for this month, hopefully it won't be too bad...

hahaha... this post is yet another rambling... of nothing in particular.. still not sure what I should be doing.. sorry about that...

Lounge Area?
Kitchen Area


My Bed
The Room

From R->L Houses A, B, &C


Madden Center


Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute Library
Woods Hole
Memorial Thing



Woods Hole

2 comments:

  1. pretty cool dave,

    any chances to go fishing?

    -Micky

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, thanks! yeah on the boat supposedly but not here so far. I might be stopping back in norwell on saturday to pick some up though.. I'd def like to though.. you get any chances to go recently?

    ReplyDelete